Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Day 16- Time Management

In addition to posting information about our weekly Twitter chat here, we will also discuss time management.  Please understand that this is a skill that I still work on daily.  Even as I write this post, I realize that I should be doing something else.  But this is a post that needs to be discussed.  For teachers new to the profession and those that are looking for some insight, please continue to read.

In working with new teachers, I often tell them that the first year of teaching needs to be focused on management.  Manage the class, manage the lessons, manage your time.  First year teachers often focus on the first two but neglect the third.  Which is why we have a second year of teaching, during which time it is important to take everything you did the first year and make it better and make it easier for oneself so that it will be better for the students.  Then by the third year, a new teacher should take the first two years and find and keep the best strategies that worked for them while striving to make their lessons even more engaging for their students.

This graphic is from Stephen Covey via the USGS.  But I have also seen this graphic attributed to Dwight Eisenhower.  It is one tool that a person can use to help plan their day and plan their time.  I just started using it this year because I have always used another tool...the TO DO list.

For years, I have kept either a steno pad, a bound composition/notebook, or my planning book to jot down things to do and keep track of what I have done.  I have notes and to do lists going back for the past six years at least.  Every once in awhile, I will take a look and see what I got done and what I didn't accomplish and then try to figure out how I can do better.  I always take time at the end of the day to reflect on my day and how I can improve.  Most time it is on the car ride home, sometimes I just jot things down, and now this blog has received a few posts because of that.  This was advice given to me a principal.  It stuck and now it is a habit.

So back to you, the audience, what do you need to do in order to ensure that you are using your time wisely?  What do you currently do that might help others be more successful with time?  Is there something you see someone else doing that you would recommend?  Please share your thoughts here in the comments or send a tweet to my handle.

So below is the Storify version of our school's weekly Twitter chat.  I am going to use it a bit more to keep track and to share with others.  I hope more folks start to join in.  Today it will be a link, next time I might post the whole thing on here.

#WMMSCHAT 09/16/14

Keep your eyes posted for questions for next week's Twitter Chat topics could be one of two choices:
Lesson Planning or Sustaining Student Motivation.

Thanks for reading.  Enjoy your day.  And make it a great tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment